Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Are You In The Right Profession?

At least this is not your job.
Over the years I have realized that some people don't enjoy what they do for a living. Some of them hide that fact, but others make it painfully obvious that they don't like their job. I'm sure many people who are competent employees would totally excel with a different occupation. Paul Potts previously selling cell phones comes to mind.

What if Michael Jordan would have decided to become an insurance adjuster instead of a basketball player? I'm sure he would have been great at what ever he chose to do, but we would have missed out on his basketball talents. At least he didn't stick with the baseball thing.

I'm sure there are many people who wish they could do something else for a living. I also have a feeling more of those buried desires are aimed at the entertainment industry as opposed to the science field. I bet a lot more people strike out for Hollywood on a bus with their last 50 dollars hoping to catch a break than people who head out to MIT to see if they can impress someone and become a famous scientist. Does that mean Hollywood has less substance to it if just about anyone who is ambitious enough could break into it regardless of their experience level or talent? I'd say yes.

Under the current economic conditions people should be grateful to have any job, but I am especially happy for those people who enjoy what they do for a living, regardless of what their work is. I think it's good advice to go into a field that you enjoy. By the way, if any of you happen to know of any openings for positions in the NBA, or for work as a movie critic, comedian, or food critic, that doesn't really require that you are good at it, I'd love to hear about it. I hear it's all about who you know.


No comments: