Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day Insights

Today is Father's Day, so I thought it would be appropriate to share some thoughts on the subject. As a father of 9 kids, I have some experience on the subject (even if that experience is being a lame father much of the time). 

I used to wonder why my dad didn't play sports or have more interests in common with me. It wasn't until I had my own kids that I realized how hard it is to live up to the ideal dad image. That's also when I started appreciating the little things my dad did for me over the years like taking me places and buying new shoes for me when they'd get worn out.

I'll admit I do many bad things as a parent. I am impatient and frequently yell at my kids. I'm constantly pointing out messes and mistakes they make. I'm definitely more like Homer Simpson than Ward Cleever. Despite my many shortcomings and the occasions when I act like a jerk, I am always amazed and grateful that my kids still love me. Here is a nice little clip by Louis CK on this subject.


Maybe when I'm gone they won't say I built them a tree house or taught them how to fish, but at least they can say I chased them around the house wearing scary Billy Bob teeth or let them crash in my bed room to watch movies at night. I guess loving your kids can help compensate for many of the shortcomings we have as parents. Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

How did I not know you had nine kids? You are an honorary Duggar, but much cooler.

Kelly said...

Very insightful Tom. And even in KP is your biggest commenter I KNEW you had 9 kids : )

Happy Father's Day

Jeanne Estridge said...

Nine?! How do you find time to write?

mCat said...

Holy CRAP! Nine kids? You have risen in my respect level. Right up there at the top buddy.

And when it's all said and done, if your kids know that you love them, that's all that matters. That is what they will rely on when they need to.