Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Some Depressing Topics

There are definitely some things that can promote depression aside from running out of money half way through the month. Here is a list of depressing topics I recommend people avoid. Staying away from these things can keep you from curling up in the fetal position in a catatonic state.

Charlie Brown Specials-Charles Shulz had a gift for creating depressing characters. Demoralized, dejected, pessimistic, bullied, balding characters should not be what comes to mind when you think of kids cartoons. Charlie Brown makes Ziggy look like Robin Williams. Good grief!

Rainy days and Monday- These always get me down (along with any other Carpenters song). I'll admit that Karen Carpenter had a nice voice, but whenever I hear a Carpenters song it makes me sad and depressed for some reason.

Radiation exposure- Chernobyl, Japan, nuclear testing in the 50's, or anything like that scares me. Invisible radiation particles that cause you to lose hair and bleed out your ears before you die is very depressing.

Iron Lungs- I know these are a thing of the past, but when I was a kid and came across the picture below, I nearly died of depression. This is a hospital ward full of kids confined to these machines during the polio outbreaks.


Artsy foreign films- Many foreign films can be depressing, especially the French movie with the kid chasing the red balloon. Ingmar Bergman also has a gift for putting you in a tail spin of depression. Does Castaway count as a foreign film?

Sorry for being Debbie Downer on this post. I'm sure I missed some depressing things so feel free to share what gets you down.

9 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I don't even know what an iron lung is.

Tom said...

Kristina-Consider yourself lucky.

Cheeseboy said...

Depressing yes. But funny, even more so. The iron lung led to Iron Man, so at least there was a superhero that came out of it. And I couldn't agree with you more about Charlie Brown.

Eric said...

The Great Depression was depress... wha? Heyyy!!!

'It's the Great Depression, Charlie Brown'

Lisa said...

Sad movies bring me down. I have to know, if a story has a happy ending or not, before watching.

Your list was really cute until it came to the iron lung, that, was really scary.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Too much snow, especially when spring is supposed to in full bloom! Well, it's been raining cold now, but still. :)

♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Liz said...

Hey, found your blog via the A-Z challenge. I'm in a debbie downer mood right now too so I completely understand! I love all the Peanuts movies though - those never depress me. ;)

mCat said...

I didn't know what an iron lung was until about 4th grade when I repeated what I thought was a hysterical joke. My mom thought otherwise.

And I totally taught myself to sing with Karen Carpenter. I must be depressing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the Carpenters-depressing!