Monday, May 11, 2009

One Hit Wonders

Sorry for the delay in posting. I've been sick as a dog since my last post. I think I got sick because I have been mocking the media's recent swine flu frenzy so it's kind of ironic that I've been sick with the flu. I've spent the last several days with chills, fever, body aches, sore throat, and coughing but I have returned from the brink of death to bless your lives with my ramblings.
I imagine it can be challenging to achieve success in the Music Industry. It's extremely competitive so I have always been amazed by the groups that have exhibited some serious longevity genes. Some have been successful at producing popular music for over 20-30 years. Those artists are marathoners and will be mentioned in another post. This post is dedicated to the sprinters AKA one hit wonders. There are many groups to choose from that were on top of the world one minute but apparently hiding in a witness protection program a year later. Unless you are related to any of these bands, you'll probably have a hard time naming any other songs they've had success with.

Dexie's Midnight Runners-Come on Eileen
Michael Sembello-Maniac
Murray Head-One Night in Bankok
Lipps Incorporated-Funky Town
Soft Cell-Tainted Love
Men Without Hats-The Safety Dance
Nick Kershaw-Wouldn't it be Good
Toni Basil-Oh Mickey
Gary Numan-Cars
When in Rome-The Promise
Yello-Oh Yeah
The Buggles- Video Killed the Radio Star. This was the first video on MTV. I think it was also their last.

I think it's kind of sad that we give these groups a hard time for not consistently putting out big hits. I should give them a break. After all I've only been successful for about 3 of my 20 years in the workforce why should I expect more from some guy just because he can play the guitar?

8 comments:

Eric said...

Has anyone ever gone to a one hit wonder concert and they DIDN'T PLAY the one song?

Mary Bergfeld said...

I must have blinked when they had their 15 minutes of fame. I don't recognize a single name!

Kristina P. said...

I wonder where you went!

I'm surprised you didn't die. Good job.

Jeanne Estridge said...

My favorite is Golden Earring -- who managed to be a one-hit wonder twice.

Dr Zibbs said...

Last week I was bragging to someone howI haven't been sick in 2 years then the next day I got a really bad cold.

Stupid karma.

Maui said...

Wasn't Hans Zimmer in the Buggles? They didn't go on to do much as a group, but he's done quite well for himself.

Girl Interrupted said...

This was interesting, because Dexy's Midnight Runners, Soft Cell, Nik Kershaw & Gary Numan are all Brit bands and had a string of "Hits" in the 80's over here ... guess they didn't quite follow through over there ... but don't worry, you didn't miss out on much :P

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Ahh...the Buggles...I had a boyfriend in high school that was their biggest fan...he was a jerk...everytime I hear that song, it still makes me mad! lol!!!

I love Men Without Hats "Safety Dance!" It's actually making quite a comeback lately!

Glad to hear you are on the mend! It's a sad world when you're not sharing your witty charm with us!